Saturday 25 April 2009

Firefly


Ok, moving on about the show...first, I have to say that sometimes producers are so dunderheaded that they can't see a good thing if bites them in the face. No doubt money was probably the reason why Fox scrapped Firefly, but I bet if they had carried on, it would have stuffed their pockets.

The show is basically about bunch of misfits surviving on a space-ship, doing smuggling and odd jobs to make money, but always getting into trouble. The cast is brilliant and well-suited to their roles. Each episode, contained within itself, nonetheless carries the story forward. With each episode, we can see many more possibilities for the development of each character, their interpersonal relationships, as well as all the things they can do on many worlds.

It was just as well that they made Serenity to tie up the loose knots, otherwise just the season 1 would have left me dissatisfied, because I like to see things come to a good conclusion.

I really loved the show, and Serenity - the ship - is so wonderful, I want to go live on it. The only reason I do not love Firefly as much as I love Stargate is because it didn't last long enough for me to get to know the characters over long period of time (like 10 seasons of S.G.1 and 5 seasons of Atlantis).

But there is no question that I will be revisiting this DVD over and over again.

7 comments:

  1. Take my love,
    Take my land,
    Take me where I cannot stand...

    Joss Whedon (the creator) is a TV god.

    If I ever meet the guy who pulled the plug on Firefly... *Insert disturbingly graphic threat here* :-(

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! Awesome post!

    I did a post on Firefly a little while ago. You can read it link name. I think whoever canceled the show didn't have any taste or brains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, forgot to pu the link name in there! Just meant to write "here".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think i saw like 2 episodes of this, but can't remember...but i totally agree about producers though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in complete agreement! That was the best show on earth, and nobody told me there was only one season until I got to the end of the DVDs! :( I was so disappointed. My bet is it would have outdone stargate. You never know, and now we never will! Such a good show, and cast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched the entire series two or three years ago
    Joss Whedon is an amazing director/writer/producer/creator!
    I mean, he gave birth to award-winning Buffy. Knowing that, they shouldn't have cancelled Firefly! D8

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Firefly/Serenity. I've got both the series on DVD and the movie. It was a great show and shouldn't have been canceled.

    ReplyDelete